Skip to main content

Loving My Life... Not Hers...Or Hers

I recently did a housekeeping/purge of sorts. Not of the home I live in, but of my social media accounts.

The impetus? A 'Real Housewife' (the city doesn't matter).

I was perusing my Instagram feed and realized that for the 5th time in a week, 'Housewife X' was selling something. I found myself annoyed because it occured to me that the only things this particular housewife ever posts to her feed were new clothing items available for sale in her retail shop.

Anyway, I decided to scroll back through her Instagram feed to confirm whether I was imagining this phenomena or not. A quick scan of about 1 years worth of posts confirmed that with the exception of 2-3 posts about her hubby/new baby, everything else she "shared" with her followers was about personal care, body care, or clothing items. All of which were available for sale. In fact, I couldn't help but notice several other fans commenting that they were "going to go broke" because they kept buying new outfits she'd promoted.

woman stares at computer screen.


Suddenly I realized I had helped make this woman even wealthier. I felt like a sheep. Her Instagram feed said, "buy, buy, BUY" and each time I paused to read a post, it was as if I was saying, "baah, baah, BAAH." I unsubscribed immediately and then went through each of my social media channels and culled the list of people I follow.

Its just social media. Does it matter?

Yes. It does matter. Don't get me wrong. This is not meant to bash any of the "The Real Housewives" or any of their business endeavors. I'm not blaming this woman for using reality TV and her Instagram feed to sell stuff. I just realized my social media feeds should add value to my life and not her life. The only way to do that is to be deliberate about what I'm consuming. I want to be intentional about engaging in things that honor me, my marriage, and my lifestyle. Posts from this particular individual did not do any of those things. So, I've started asking myself the following when it comes to social media:

  1. What's my relationship to this person?
  2. Are her/his posts beneficial to me and my life? 


In all honesty, I still love reality TV. It's fun and entertaining, so its useful. I still like 'Housewife X.' I think she's talented and beautiful. I enjoy seeing how she navigates her life - as a wife, mother and a mogul. I love her business savvy and her sense of style. That day I just realized I can admire her, while being intentional about my interactions with her. Social media, like other social interactions, must be benefit me. If it doesn't add value, then I'm removing it from my feed.

Less Stuff = More Time + More Money

When we relocated from Seattle to the Bay Area, we cut the square footage of our house in half. I'm quite sure I gave away enough clothing for 3+ women and enough furniture for an entire 2nd home in the following weeks. The funny thing is, once I'd gotten over the initial shock of the purge, I found it liberating to have less stuff. This new breathing room has moved beyond the virtual world to my actual life. Now, before I bring anything home, I ask myself:

  1. Do I/we need this? 
  2. Where will it go in our house?


If I can't say, "yes" to both questions, then I don't buy it. This renewed clarity has helped our monthly budget too. Of course, the initial impetus was the "buy, buy, BUY" messages on Instagram, but what the questions do for me is help me be clear about intentional vs. unintentional spending.

Readers, have you ever removed people from your social media feed? If so, did it help your life?
What other strategies have you used to free up time/space/money in your life? Share your experience in the COMMENTS section below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Gotta Cut the Grocery Bill...Fast! I have a confession. One of my favorite TV program these days is a reality show about people who use coupons to cover the majority of their grocery costs. We're talking  70, 80, 90 - percent or more. It's amazing! Here's the thing I noticed though when I'm watching it. During most episodes, the people dedicate 20+ hours each week to prepping for their shopping trips. Oh, and then they are often buying enormous quantities of items that I believe are far beyond the needs of the typical family's "stockpile" (that's couponer lingo). For example, I recently saw an episode where the woman purchased 75 bottles of ca particular condiment and 200 packs of candy. It's honestly amazing to see the cost savings. I started dreaming about my own grocery bill savings, but I realized very quickly that I don't have the space for a stock pile of that magnitude and I'm not able to dedicate that much time to gro

Autumn Is My Favorite Time of Year

Autumn . It's absolutely my favorite time of year. Bright sunny days and cool nights. Leaves begin to change colors. Then of course there are the weekend activities like watching my kiddo playing soccer and fun community events that are traditions for us like making our own Apple Cider at the town's Cider Squeezes and finding the perfect gourds to decorate our front porch at a pumpkin patches. Last, but not the least of my reasons for loving the fall season is the fashion ! Having been raised in the rainy Pacific Northwest, about 65 percent of my closet is fall/winter type clothing. Autumn is MY season! I have coats and jackets, gloves and hats. Turtlenecks and boots and I can't wait to drag them out of my closet again. Ooh...just thinking about all my "new" clothing options makes me a happy girl! You know what this frugal mom doesn't like as much? The hit my budget can take due to the many events, activities, and holidays that take place during this

Perimenopause: An evolving playlist of micronutrients and self-care

This week's discovery on my wellness journey - the importance of being earnest . At least, being earnest about my health and changing body.  Earlier this year, I realized I was in perimenopause. What was my clue? You might think it was hot flashes. Nope! It was my hair, or lack thereof. Then eventually my nails, which had became so weak, they were always splitting. I couldn't keep them short enough to stop the splitting. As a result, a few months ago I began adding collagen to my daily diet, along with other micronutrients. Collagen starts declining in your 20s. By the time a woman reaches her 40s, its one of the reasons you start complaining about crows feet, laugh lines and other tell-tell signs of aging. I only recently figured this out. Hopefully I saved you a little time.  So, earlier this year I started researching natural ways to increase collagen in my daily diet. I figured I could help offset for what my body no longer produces. Here are my fave ways to get more collag