Skip to main content

This Week's Healthy Habits

A few weeks ago I confessed how lousy I was feeling physically. I also confessed that I intended to change my ways for the better. Well, I started to fall of the wagon last week. We hosted a cookout and the chips, the drinks, the hot dogs all called out to me. Then the next day, but who's counting, I was famished and bypassed the fresh veggies in favor of a bag of baked potato chips in the pantry. Forget they were baked, not fried. I probably ate 5 servings. Ugh!

I'm the first person to admit that I'm not the most disciplined woman.I tend to tell myself, "oh well. you tried." and move one to the next thing. Then another month passes, my dresses feel a little snugger, and I begrudge myself for not sticking to my XYZ plan the last time.

This time I'm trying something different. I went back to something a nutritionist had once told me. I used to be in incredible shape. I'm embarrassed to admit this was nearly a decade ago and pre-pregnancy. I weighed 75+ fewer pounds than I do today. I was also kid free and working with a personal trainer and a nutritionist. I looked and felt like a million bucks. Here's the thing. Our bodies are always evolving. I don't expect to look like I did back then. I just want to look and feel like the best version of myself right-now.

Stop Watch Source: Natalie Duhamel


Oh, and I'm trying to get back to my best self without the without the help of a nutritionist, personal trainer, or even a gym membership. Its not in the budget for this stay-at-home mommy. Anyway, I've been looking through my old notebooks and dusted off my eating plan. I also found some books and DVDs from the public library. As I was perusing one of my old notebooks, one thing the nutritionist told me came flying back into my head. She said, "Every day you make a choice. Make better choices right n ow." I interpret that to mean don't worry about the whole month or getting to your big goal. That can feel overwhelming. Just think about what is the better choice right now.

With that, I acknowledged the bad choices of the last few days and vowed to make a better choice. To me at least, it feels more manageable. So, here my list of this week's better choices (e.g. healthy habits):

  1. Apple Cider Vinegar - (ACV for short) 2 x/day. Enough folks are writing or alking about ACV that I won't bother. Most recommend some combination of ACV + honey + H2O and suggest drinking it daily. Research for yourself and talk to your healthcare practicioner first. I did some research on the internet, read some books, researched some more resources. I even talked to my naturopath. I'm only 1 week in, but I felt a boost in my energy levels within a few days. That alone makes it worth the minimal effort. In my book, adding ACV to my day is a pretty low-cost, simple step and better for me than coffee.  
  2. Drinking Water like Crazy - Several trainers, nutritionists, and holistic living practicioners I follow tout the many health benefits from drinking lots of water. Forget the 8 glasses a day we all learned. The latest advice seems to be to divide your body weight by 2 and voila, that number is the same number of ounces you should be drinking each day. For me, that works out to 100+ oz a day. GULP!!!! 
  3. Walking min 45 min at least 6 x/wk. My thought process behind this one? Something is better than nothing. My simple plan is to move every day. 

The verdict on how successful I've been? Thus far, I'd rate myself at 95%. I forgot to drink my ACV tonic a few days and I've missed my '100 oz. of water' goal every day. On the plus side, I've definitely gotten my walk in at least 6 days a week. I even managed to wake up 2 hours early to go walk before we left on a day trip.

Next up on my healthy habits list:

  • Eliminate most sugar from my diet
  • Pilates or Yoga 2/week
  • Eat vegetarian 1/week
  • Read 1 hr/day
  • Social Media fasts
  • Pray/Meditate daily

 I know. It's a long list. That's OK because I don't have to do it all at once, but I do want to be doing those things. What are your tips or best practices for healthy living? Bonus points for things you can do as a working parent and still have time for spouse/kiddos/carpool/PTA/work/sleeping!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Is My Favorite Time of Year

Autumn . It's absolutely my favorite time of year. Bright sunny days and cool nights. Leaves begin to change colors. Then of course there are the weekend activities like watching my kiddo playing soccer and fun community events that are traditions for us like making our own Apple Cider at the town's Cider Squeezes and finding the perfect gourds to decorate our front porch at a pumpkin patches. Last, but not the least of my reasons for loving the fall season is the fashion ! Having been raised in the rainy Pacific Northwest, about 65 percent of my closet is fall/winter type clothing. Autumn is MY season! I have coats and jackets, gloves and hats. Turtlenecks and boots and I can't wait to drag them out of my closet again. Ooh...just thinking about all my "new" clothing options makes me a happy girl! You know what this frugal mom doesn't like as much? The hit my budget can take due to the many events, activities, and holidays that take place during this

Perimenopause: An evolving playlist of micronutrients and self-care

This week's discovery on my wellness journey - the importance of being earnest . At least, being earnest about my health and changing body.  Earlier this year, I realized I was in perimenopause. What was my clue? You might think it was hot flashes. Nope! It was my hair, or lack thereof. Then eventually my nails, which had became so weak, they were always splitting. I couldn't keep them short enough to stop the splitting. As a result, a few months ago I began adding collagen to my daily diet, along with other micronutrients. Collagen starts declining in your 20s. By the time a woman reaches her 40s, its one of the reasons you start complaining about crows feet, laugh lines and other tell-tell signs of aging. I only recently figured this out. Hopefully I saved you a little time.  So, earlier this year I started researching natural ways to increase collagen in my daily diet. I figured I could help offset for what my body no longer produces. Here are my fave ways to get more collag
I Gotta Cut the Grocery Bill...Fast! I have a confession. One of my favorite TV program these days is a reality show about people who use coupons to cover the majority of their grocery costs. We're talking  70, 80, 90 - percent or more. It's amazing! Here's the thing I noticed though when I'm watching it. During most episodes, the people dedicate 20+ hours each week to prepping for their shopping trips. Oh, and then they are often buying enormous quantities of items that I believe are far beyond the needs of the typical family's "stockpile" (that's couponer lingo). For example, I recently saw an episode where the woman purchased 75 bottles of ca particular condiment and 200 packs of candy. It's honestly amazing to see the cost savings. I started dreaming about my own grocery bill savings, but I realized very quickly that I don't have the space for a stock pile of that magnitude and I'm not able to dedicate that much time to gro