Skip to main content

Is a frugal lifestyle tacky?

I should've subtitled this post, "how to pay for stuff using coins without being a jerk" Or better yet, "Exchanging Coins without Coinstar. Not for the faint of heart."

OK, I have a confession...and a question.  Is it tacky to pay for things using coins??? I mean, like, using coins to pay the entire bill?

I don't think it is, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on this one. When you think about it, coins are in fact legal tender. Still, spending coins is increasingly complicated in our cash-loving, credit-swiping, Bitcoin-centric world.

First and foremost, you have to mentally prepare yourself for the "judgy" looks you'll receive from others when you do use them. In my experience, the minute you start counting coins, people will give you the side eye for any perceived inconvenience.

U.S. Coins on a table


Here's when I started using our coins in earnest. A few years back I had a day when I had no time to go to the ATM. As I walked out of my bedroom I saw my hubby's coin jar and it occured to me to grab some change and use it to pay for the spray starch I'd intended to buy. After all, I reckoned, the entire purchase would cost less than $3. Well, I grabbed a handful of change and made my way to my local Target. I went to the store, made my purchase, and frankly felt really awesome about paying with cash. Even better, I wasn't tempted to meander through the store. I was in and out of the store in record time. Actually, it may have been faster than normal. You see, I was forced to stick to buying only what I needed. No meandering down the aisles looking for deals. 

Wait. Before you accuse me of stealing from the hubby. I did tell him I was taking the coins. He was fine with it, but did remind me the coins had an intended purpose. Since we name every dollar (thanks Dave Ramsey), we have always saved our money. This includes coins. Then once a year we cash those coins in and apply the money toward something fun during our family vacay. So, after replenishing the coins I'd borrowed, I asked my husband how he felt about me using just his pennies. He told me to go for it as to him they are mostly a nuisance. Not to me though! In fact, early in our relationship, he once left 7 cents change behind on a counter. We've been together more than a decade, but I've never let him forget it! LOL!

I may be all alone in this sentiment, but I do not consider coins "a nuisance." In fact, I don't even consider pennies "a nuisance." Think about it. Coins are legal tender. So I treat them as such by using them in exchange for goods and services. In short, coins are money and in the words of old Ben Franklin, "a penny saved is a penny earned."

Our coin jar is pretty big. Once I got the green light, I dumped it out and began separating pennies from the rest of the coins. It took a few days, but I ultimately counted nearly $30 in pennies!

glass jar filled with coins


My mind was racing about how to spend my sudden financial windfall. A pedicure? Yes. A lunch date? Absolutely!  I occasionally like to go out out to lunch all by myself. I sit and read a book. Something simple like Panera. It feels decadent to this SAHM. I love it, but honestly feel guilty about spending on myself. Knowing these little treats were coming from found money eased my concern. I enjoyed that lunch, but passed on the pedicure. Fast forward 6 months. The coin jar is full again.

After that original shopping trip, I've become quite savvy about using coins without much inconvenience. Case in point? I recently used coins to pay for a dinner out at a restaurant. Twenty percent tip included. In case you're wondering, I did count and roll the coins in advance so it wouldn't inconvenience the waiter.

Some might consider this tacky. I do not. I feel that using up resources I've already invested in makes good financial sense. So, this "use it up" mentality applies not just to food in our pantry, but also to coins we've stockpiled.

Of course the simplest way to use coins is to use a coin-counting service like Coinstar. I've used these machines in the past. I just have found its possible to use coins doing regular activities without much extra effort. Bonus is you don't incur a service fee. The only output is taking time to plan ahead and a little patience because transactions may take longer.

When evaluating whether to use coins, my checklist is:
  1. Will it cost $5 or less?
  2.  Can I make a small payment without incurring a fee?

If answer is yes to either one, then I do.

Now for the secrets to my success.

  • First, I'd encourage you to start small and think about the recipient. Almost no one is willing to wait while you count $20 in nickels. They will wait for you to count out $5 in dimes. Especially when they're not busy.
  • Second, think about things you can pay in person like library fees.
  • Third, make payments. I only do this when I can make payments without negative consequences. For example - paying library late fees. By making payments it allows me to get what I want (e.g. using up large quantities of pennies) while minimizing any frustration experienced by the vendor.
  • Fourth, don't bring a wallet or credit cards with you. Honestly, if you pull out your coins, but the vendor sees you've got a wallet with plastic. S/he is more likely to balk as you pull out your coins. If you say, "this is all I've got." They usually won't argue it.
  • Fifth, be prepared to recount coins. I always count out a few bucks in quarters or dimes while I wait in line. Still, I'm sometimes asked to recount it.

Feeling inspired? Good! Not sure if you have the nerve to do it too? No worries!

I know that most readers aren't willing to go to this much effort to use their loose change. So, I've compiled some of my other favorite ways to spend coins - even PENNIES, in my daily life. Read on for my tried-and-true tips for spending coins:

  1. Coinstar is quick and convenient for most, but you'll pay a fee
  2. Whenever patronizing a mom-and-pop business, I ask if they need coins. On more than one occasion, I was able to unload about $20 in coins while saving the business owner a trip to the bank.
  3. Check with your bank/credit union about coins. Many will count and deposit coins for free if you're an account holder.
  4. Check with bank/credit union to see if they'll give you free coin roll papers. Many will provide free of charge for account holders.
  5. Carry a few coin rolls in your car/purse/backpack at all times.
  6. Get in the habit of at least using a few bucks worth of coins whenever you pay with cash. 
  7. Shop during off-peak hours or pick an empty lane. This way, cashiers have more time and are willing to wait while you count coins.
  8.  Use coins to pay nuisance fees like library late fees or traffic tickets.
  9. Use coins to make small in-person payments for services like sewer or garbage. In my community, City Hall is next door to the Public Library. I'm there every week anyway, so it's easy to pop in and make a small weekly payment using rolls of coins.
  10. Use coins to pay for Western Union
  11. Use coins to buy gift cards for future use
  12. Buying stamps at the post office
  13. Make a payment on your cellular phone bill using coins.
  14. Buy grocery store gift cards
  15. Paying parking meters.
  16. Paying tolls
  17. Paying park entrance fees
  18. Paying school activities
  19. Paying student meal accounts
  20. Pay library late fees
  21. Paying for school lunches
  22. Covering tips at restaurants, barber, beauty shop, manicurist, etc. (if its good enough for tip jar, its good enough for other tips)
  23. Fast food restaurants
  24. Quick top-off at the gas station
  25. Single item grocery run (e.g. milk or bread). 

Best ways to use pennies:
  • Next trip to a dollar store like Daiso or Dollar Tree.
  • Save and take to your bank/credit union. Many will count and deposit coins free for account holders.
  • Get coin roll papers, then roll and exchange for quarters.
  • Use rolls to buy Girl Scout cookies or whatever treats the neighborhood kids are selling.
  • Use to pay library late fees.
  • Pay parking fees.
  • School fees library fees, school field trip costs, student meal accounts, your share of the class pizza party).
  • Get in habit of always counting out 10 or  25 pennies and exchanging for a dime or quarter whenever you're buying something with cash.
  • Garage sales and flea markets.
  • Thrift stores.

    Readers, have you ever used a large amount of coins to buy something? Have you ever paid a restaurant or bar tab with change? Share in the comments below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Is My Favorite Time of Year

Autumn . It's absolutely my favorite time of year. Bright sunny days and cool nights. Leaves begin to change colors. Then of course there are the weekend activities like watching my kiddo playing soccer and fun community events that are traditions for us like making our own Apple Cider at the town's Cider Squeezes and finding the perfect gourds to decorate our front porch at a pumpkin patches. Last, but not the least of my reasons for loving the fall season is the fashion ! Having been raised in the rainy Pacific Northwest, about 65 percent of my closet is fall/winter type clothing. Autumn is MY season! I have coats and jackets, gloves and hats. Turtlenecks and boots and I can't wait to drag them out of my closet again. Ooh...just thinking about all my "new" clothing options makes me a happy girl! You know what this frugal mom doesn't like as much? The hit my budget can take due to the many events, activities, and holidays that take place during this

Perimenopause: An evolving playlist of micronutrients and self-care

This week's discovery on my wellness journey - the importance of being earnest . At least, being earnest about my health and changing body.  Earlier this year, I realized I was in perimenopause. What was my clue? You might think it was hot flashes. Nope! It was my hair, or lack thereof. Then eventually my nails, which had became so weak, they were always splitting. I couldn't keep them short enough to stop the splitting. As a result, a few months ago I began adding collagen to my daily diet, along with other micronutrients. Collagen starts declining in your 20s. By the time a woman reaches her 40s, its one of the reasons you start complaining about crows feet, laugh lines and other tell-tell signs of aging. I only recently figured this out. Hopefully I saved you a little time.  So, earlier this year I started researching natural ways to increase collagen in my daily diet. I figured I could help offset for what my body no longer produces. Here are my fave ways to get more collag
I Gotta Cut the Grocery Bill...Fast! I have a confession. One of my favorite TV program these days is a reality show about people who use coupons to cover the majority of their grocery costs. We're talking  70, 80, 90 - percent or more. It's amazing! Here's the thing I noticed though when I'm watching it. During most episodes, the people dedicate 20+ hours each week to prepping for their shopping trips. Oh, and then they are often buying enormous quantities of items that I believe are far beyond the needs of the typical family's "stockpile" (that's couponer lingo). For example, I recently saw an episode where the woman purchased 75 bottles of ca particular condiment and 200 packs of candy. It's honestly amazing to see the cost savings. I started dreaming about my own grocery bill savings, but I realized very quickly that I don't have the space for a stock pile of that magnitude and I'm not able to dedicate that much time to gro