Skip to main content

Saving Money on Youth Sports and Activities


Any budget-conscious parent of a kid between the ages of 5 - 18, has more than likely balked at the high cost of their activities and interests at least once.

As the parent of a grade-schooler, I've noticed the steady increase in number of activities our kid participates in year after year.  Of course, I could just not enroll him in these activities, but I don't think that is the best solution. Our kiddo is an only child. As such, I'm keenly aware of the importance friends play in his life. I feel strongly that the sooner I help him develop strong friendships and hobbies in our new community, the sooner he'll feel "at home." That is money well spent.

Grade School Boys Baseball Team Sitting Inside Dugout



As my mother's daughter, I know both old school and new school ways to stretch a dollar. Once I became a stay-at-home-mommy, I became even more diligent about maintaining our household budget. Frankly, I delight in my domestic prowess and ability to live a high end life on budget. After all, our budget reflects our values and every dollar I save, is a dollar we put toward what matters most to us - early retirement.

So all was well with the family budget until last year. That was the year my family relocated to a new community, and in my quest to help the kiddo make a smooth transition to our new neighborhood (e.g. make friends), I started enrolling him in a bevy of activities.

Now enrolling our kid in activities is not new, but our not knowing anyone is a very new circumstance. This means we no longer received our usual hand-me-down allotment from friends and family. One of the best things about being the last of your friends to marry and have kids is you get boxes of kid stuff. Well, those days are over.

Since moving to a new state, I've had to be deliberate in helping our little one meet other kids. Anxious to help our grade-schooler get settled, I forged ahead with "Operation Make Friends." In the span of one year, I enrolled him in the following activities:

  • Chess Club
  • Sushi-Making Class
  • Lego Club
  • Minecraft Coding Club for Kids
  • Chinese Language Classes
  • Spanish Language Classes
  • Parks and Rec Basketball
  • Parks & Rec Baseball
  • Music Lessons
  • Auditioned for Role in Scrooge Musical


This might be a surprise to some readers, but unlike most of our entertainment, when I'm looking for kid-friendly activities, my first thought wasn't about cost. Rather it was whether my kid would enjoy the activity? Does the schedule fit into our life? And whether he'll be around other kids his own age? If I answered 'yes' to those questions, then we're probably going to try it!

The good news is this open attitude means he's had lots of new experiences and we've made lots of new friends. The bad news is it also got expensive. Fortunately, my frugal gene kicked in and I started finding ways to bring the costs down while filling our family/child's social calendar.

With a little planning, you can do it too! My first few pieces of advice:

a) Before Enrolling - whenever your kid brings home a flier or expresses interest in some new activity is the time to be up front about what you can afford as a family. Be clear with your kids about what you are willing to pay. Give them options like, "Mom and dad will pay for one sport for each of you and your siblings." Or "You already have two baseball bats. If you want a third, it's going to come out of the money you earn mowing lawns." Also, this is the time to contact the coordinator and ask about uniforms, equipment needs, additional fees to anticipate before registering. For me, there is zero embarrassment. I merely explain, "We're interested in participating, but I'm a stay-at-home-mommy. As a one income family, I just need to be sure it fits into our budget. What type of uniform? Equipment? Are there team photos or activities? Is there a discount if I volunteer?..." In my experience, by simply asking these questions I've had coaches or coordinators tell me where to buy quality, used gear in the area or if they have equipment they will loan me for the season.  This is ideal whenever trying something new.

b)  After Registering - volunteer to coordinate the team snack schedule and/or coaches gift ASAP. That second item - coach's gift, is one of those sneaky things that caught me off guard at first. What I've learned is that every person's idea of an "appropriate" gift is different. I was shocked when one year another mom asked every family to chip in $40 for the Coaches gift + $10 for the plastic trophy. A participation trophy! I protested, but it was too late. The decision was made and set in motion. After that, I learned to volunteer for this responsibility. In my opinion, it's easier to increase the gift contribution than get it reduced. And don't get me started on trophies for participation!!! After a few months the kids' don't care. We have a shelf filled with participation trophies. They're all collecting dust. How about a nice certificate instead of a trophy? Those fancy certificate papers with the gold scroll border + ink for my copier doesn't cost more than $25 at Staples)? Or even better how about a pizza party and some special words from the coach for each kid?  Lots of memories and NO WASTE! (Side note: I've learned to keep an eye out for teachers and COACHES gifts all year long). Whenever I'm shopping for gear for my hubby or little athlete, I keep an eye out for the coaches too. My usual shopping rules apply here. So only shop on sale and always using coupons to maximize savings. I tuck purchases in my gift drawer until I need them. Or, next time you're given a gift card for Starbucks or Chipotle. Don't spend it. Instead save them for regifting at end of season. I, for one, like to supplement gift cards with something personal like homemade granola bars, or a homemade granola.

 Looking for even more ways to save? Read on for my other favorite tips for participating in youth activities without blowing your budget:

Saving Money on Youth Sports
Another Thrift Store Score - Six Gently Used Baseballs for less than $2

  • Consider coaching. I've discovered many after school programs, camps, and leagues waive enrollment fees for children of volunteers.
  • Host a sports equipment exchange with other league/team families at end of season
  • Visit second-hand sporting goods store like Play It Again Sports
  • Visit thrift stores in wealthy communities (especially after your chosen sports season concludes)
  • Ask around the neighborhood. In particular any families with older kids. They might give you gear for free just to be rid of it
  • Post a message on Nextdoor or submit to church/community newsletter asking for hand-me-down gear
  • Ask colleagues at work if they have equipment their kids' no longer use
  • After registering, be up front with the Coach/Manager. Explain that you're looking for used equipment. S/he may know of resources or have extra gear from past seasons
  • Keep an eye out for clothes/equipment when visiting area thrift stores
  • Look for used equipment on Ebay, CraigslistNextdoor, and Freecycle (tip: always exchange in public)
  • Give out Certificates of Achievements instead of the requisite participation trophies. You can download a simple template from Microsoft Office or Google Docs, or buy the fancy paper with gold foil border at an office supply store for mere pennies on the dollar.  
  • See if your local Parks & Recreation department offers scholarships or tuition discounts

Finding Fun Kid-Friendly Activities
  • Explore your community's Parks & Rec department for kid and teen-friendly programming
  • Find activities with lower equipment costs (hiking, biking, cross country, skate boarding, and rock climbing are a few)
  • Check out music programs through your local college or university. Most offer newsletters or community calendars. One of the best parts of living close to the University of Puget Sound campus, was their exceptional Community Music program. 
  • Speaking of colleges, consider hiring a college student to teach your kid. Many universities and colleges have entire departments devoted to helping students get jobs in the community.
  • Start a Lego or Pokémon club at school
  • Ask about teen or youth activities (anime, movie nights, etc.) the next time you stop by the library. Many list a calendar of activities on their Website.
  • Find out if your local library offers museum passes. Pierce County Library Systems offers family passes for the world-class Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium and Tacoma Art Museum available for checkout. In the Bay Area, most of the museums offer Discover & GO Passes for museums, zoos, aquariums and more through your library. 
  • Practice your foreign language skills through your local library. My library offers bilingual story time for the littlest patrons, Spanish conversation groups, and online classes through Pronunciator. Best part is they are all free with my public library card!
  • Enroll in classes or lessons through your neighborhood Y, many classes including martial arts and swimming, were included with cost of my family's annual membership. 
  • Sign up for the youth choir or music group through your church or place of worship
  • Participate in your church or synagogue's youth group or Sunday School activities
  • Host a sports equipment exchange with other league families
  • Find family fun on deal-sharing site like Groupon (we've tried archery, bowling, and mini golf)
  • Find youth/family activities on Meetup 
  • Find free activities like the KidStrong Challenge on Eventbrite


Grade School Boys Baseball team members sitting in ballpark dugout during game.


 With a little creativity and forethought, it is possible to have an active social life, and allow your children to enjoy sports, hobbies, and many other activities in your community, while maintaining the family budget.

I hope this list helps you encourage your children's interests without wrecking havoc on the family budget.

What are some of the ways you save on youth sports and activities?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Is My Favorite Time of Year

Autumn . It's absolutely my favorite time of year. Bright sunny days and cool nights. Leaves begin to change colors. Then of course there are the weekend activities like watching my kiddo playing soccer and fun community events that are traditions for us like making our own Apple Cider at the town's Cider Squeezes and finding the perfect gourds to decorate our front porch at a pumpkin patches. Last, but not the least of my reasons for loving the fall season is the fashion ! Having been raised in the rainy Pacific Northwest, about 65 percent of my closet is fall/winter type clothing. Autumn is MY season! I have coats and jackets, gloves and hats. Turtlenecks and boots and I can't wait to drag them out of my closet again. Ooh...just thinking about all my "new" clothing options makes me a happy girl! You know what this frugal mom doesn't like as much? The hit my budget can take due to the many events, activities, and holidays that take place during this

Perimenopause: An evolving playlist of micronutrients and self-care

This week's discovery on my wellness journey - the importance of being earnest . At least, being earnest about my health and changing body.  Earlier this year, I realized I was in perimenopause. What was my clue? You might think it was hot flashes. Nope! It was my hair, or lack thereof. Then eventually my nails, which had became so weak, they were always splitting. I couldn't keep them short enough to stop the splitting. As a result, a few months ago I began adding collagen to my daily diet, along with other micronutrients. Collagen starts declining in your 20s. By the time a woman reaches her 40s, its one of the reasons you start complaining about crows feet, laugh lines and other tell-tell signs of aging. I only recently figured this out. Hopefully I saved you a little time.  So, earlier this year I started researching natural ways to increase collagen in my daily diet. I figured I could help offset for what my body no longer produces. Here are my fave ways to get more collag
I Gotta Cut the Grocery Bill...Fast! I have a confession. One of my favorite TV program these days is a reality show about people who use coupons to cover the majority of their grocery costs. We're talking  70, 80, 90 - percent or more. It's amazing! Here's the thing I noticed though when I'm watching it. During most episodes, the people dedicate 20+ hours each week to prepping for their shopping trips. Oh, and then they are often buying enormous quantities of items that I believe are far beyond the needs of the typical family's "stockpile" (that's couponer lingo). For example, I recently saw an episode where the woman purchased 75 bottles of ca particular condiment and 200 packs of candy. It's honestly amazing to see the cost savings. I started dreaming about my own grocery bill savings, but I realized very quickly that I don't have the space for a stock pile of that magnitude and I'm not able to dedicate that much time to gro