Skip to main content

How I saved money this month (June 2020)


The subtitle of this post should be "life is different. That means my savings strategy is going to be different too."

I'll be honest. It hasn't been easy saving money these past few months. 

Originally, I thought COVID-19 and the subsequent shelter in place mandate would mean we'd be saving oodles and oodles. When our community went on lockdown in March, I was thinking about all the 'drinks with the girls after work' that I'd miss, and the lack of a daily commute, adding money back in to my bank accounts. I was wrong. 

Sure, we definitely are not filling the gas tank on the family vehicle weekly like we did pre-SIP, but any savings were offset by increases in other areas of the monthly budget. Additionally, some areas of the household budget have INCREASED! The grocery budget increased, as we now ate all meals at home. The utilities have definitely increased too as we wash more dishes, do more laundry, use electricity all day long.  I live in drought prone California and our water is expensive. Even our water bill has increased. So, all my traditional methods of stretching a buck are not realizing the same level of savings. 

Still, I have managed to find a few ways to save this month:

  • Stopped our weekly Imperfect Produce delivery. I'm a huge fan of this company. They focus on reducing food waste, by making it available for sale direct to consumers. They offer things like seconds, rejects, and bruised or too small produce, that is rejected by the major grocery chains. We go through a lot of produce in our house and I like that it saved me a trip to the market each week. The reality is we have loads of time on our hands to shop right now. "Life is different. My savings strategy is different." The weekly shop is one of the few times we can leave the house. My hubby actually looks forward to getting out and doing the shopping. So, I suspended our weekly order for now. We're saving money as a result.
  • Checking the weekly circulars and taking  advantage of loss leaders when available. During the early days of S-I-P, most of the markets in our area stopped offering sales of any kind. While reduced in volume, they are offering a few again. I make a point of reading the weekly ads to know what is on sale. Then planning my shop accordingly. For example, turkeys go on sale at Thanksgiving. Corn on the cob and hot dogs are a great price around Independence Day. You know what we had for dinner this week? Hot dogs and corn on the cob.  
  • Looking for closeouts, clearance, and marked down food when shopping. Buying things you don't need, just because they are on sale (or you have a coupon), is not a good habit. It's one I've been guilty of in the past. I learned my lesson. However, buying things you would've used anyway, but may be cheaper because they were bruised or about to expire, can be a really smart choice. Next time you go shopping. Keep your eyes open for the managers specials. Usually there is a table where the produce manager will set aside bags of produce, close to expiring or bruised. The same goes in the bakery and butcher and dairy. It's different at every store. If you don't see it. Ask the employees. They'll tell you the time of day that food is marked down. We make a point of looking at those areas first. Then supplementing with regular sales items. We go through loads of produce, so it's easy for us to use up what we buy. Sometimes we'll slice and freeze things if we weren't able to get through it all. 

Other ways we saved this month.
  • Took a vacation. Yes, we took a vacation. 2020 has been a rough year. A couple weeks ago it became really clear that I/we needed a vacation. Every time I turn on the TV News, the news of the day is worse and worse. The news about killings of African-Americans of late broke my heart. Then the demonstrations and then the fighting keeps getting worse and worse. Fortunately, my loving husband recognized I/we needed a break. He planned a lovely vacation which helped to restore us all. Money well spent. But back to saving money. Even on vacation, this miserly momma found ways to save.  
    • Step 1 - smart lodging. We searched the Web and found a great value for a week's stay at a time-share resort community. I'm guessing the global travel restrictions, have put a serious damp  in their bookings. As a result, the property had plenty of empty rooms to fill. No matter. Some might opt to go camping. Some might seek out an AirBnB. We are all balancing cost with safety too, but we were within driving distance of the Lawrence Welk Resort, so the flight restrictions were not a concern. We got an amazing deal to stay for a week in an individual family unit. No high pressure sales presentation required! Our package included full use of the resort for the week. Our accommodations were wonderful and included a 2 bedroom / 2 bath unit with full kitchen, washer/dryer, and balcony overlooking a vineyard. We researched all the property's amenities and then packed and planned our days accordingly. We brought our bikes, board games, things to read and do. We brought things to make s'mores. We loaded a couple coolers with food for the week. We brought our own sodas, wine and snacks. We feasted, played, and just relaxed. Yes, use of the swimming pools and tennis courts had to be scheduled, but it was wonderful trip for everyone. 





  • Step 2 - find free and low cost activities. We explored San Diego without spending much money. Things like Old Town San Diego, and the University of San Diego campus, which is one of the most beautiful in the world made for fun and free afternoons. We stopped at historical sights, and even though the docents and park rangers weren't there, we read the plaques and explored on our own. I've found it worth checking out Websites in advance. Hours have changed during this strange time. You can also find self-guided or audio tours you can download sometimes. We did some window shopping and looked at art through the gallery windows. Cost: free! We used street parking and walked everywhere we could. 
  • Step 3 - we brought our own snacks and water before heading out each day. That kept impulse purchases to a minimum. A subset of this is planning for emergencies by bringing things like aspirin and tums too. It never fails. You go on a trip and someone gets an upset tummy or vomits or is bitten by a bug. Nothing annoys me more than having to buy something  when I've got the same "something" at home. Over the years, I've learned to keep a few staples in my toiletries kit - aspirin, Tylenol, and Pepto Bismol to name a few. Tums for heartburn, feminine hygiene products, eye saline, tweezers, anti-itch stuff, and sunscreen. Overkill? I don't think so. I can't tell you how many times I had to run to a pharmacy and pay a premium for tampons, or bandaids because somebody was sick  or hurt. Never again!
  • Step 4 - we ate out for lunch instead of dinner. It was my birthday and we wanted to celebrate at a restaurant. We opted for lunch, which is always cheaper than dinner out.  Tip: mention you are celebrating, whenever you are! If you are lucky, the staff will treat you to dessert. We enjoyed complimentary dessert on this trip.
  • Step 5 - we timed our departure on travel days to pre-dawn hours. Yes, it's hard to get up, but the purpose was to maximize cooler pre-sunrise temps, which greatly minimized the use of A/C. Thereby saving on fuel costs. We also managed to avoid heavy Los Angeles traffic, thus cutting down on gas consumption. We brought our own food, filled our water bottles and cups with ice, and stopped at rest stops whenever possible. Be sure to include fun treats like chips and candy. Download a few movies (okay a lot of movies) and plan activities for the kids. This might seem like excessive to some, but I've got the receipts to prove it really helps the trip go smoother and reduces fuel costs and unplanned stops.




 
Step 6 - don't leave the mini toiletries behind! Shhhhh...I have a secret. I save the little hotel toiletries that are in my hotel room. Not just the new ones, but the ones I've been using during my stay. Same goes for the hotel room coffee, creamer, and tea packets that are always in the room. Here's the deal. That little hotel shampoo that you used for a few days. can't be reused. The housekeeping staff tosses it while preparing the room for the next guests. I loathe waste, so I pack up my half used bar of soap and the nearly empty shampoo bottle and toss it in my toiletries kit to bring it home. Then,  actually use it when I get home! It might be unconventional, but the truth is that by using that half used mini soap or shampoo, even if it only lasts a few more days, means the products I have at home stretch further. Look around for other things you can enjoy while a guest too. Was their a bowl of fruit or cookies for guests at reception? Grab one. It will come in handy when the kiddos all simultaneously announce they're hungry. Is there complimentary happy hour or breakfast? Grab a granola bar and throw it in your bag for later. That way, you have a snack in the afternoon. Let me be clear. I do not horde! I do not steal! I only take what is intended for guests and that I plan to consume. 
I like to think of my hotel stay and see if I can turn it in to a mini spa visit. I bring some of my favorite lotions and potions. I give myself a facial while I'm there. I soak in the bathtub for hours. Added bonus is that I don't have to scrub the tub afterward. 

Step 7 - look for ways to economize the operation of your home while you are away on vacation. Can you adjust the thermostat a few degrees higher or lower? Can you suspend your gym membership? Can you time your salon visits to stretch them out a bit? For example, I skip the visit to the salon before my trip. Instead I plan it for the day after I return home. I figure salt water and sand calls for some professional TLC of my tresses. Can you adjust your grocery shopping in the weeks preceding your trip. After all, there's no sense in buying a gallon milk, then letting it spoil while you are away. Or bring those groceries with you, to consume on vacation. Also, think about the operation of your home. Can you unplug any appliances that are not critical, or in use while away? Some easy choices include the coffee maker, the toaster, maybe a few lamps and clocks? It may not be worth it, if your trip is only overnight, but these decisions can help your overall energy costs if you are going to be away for a week.   Start planning it out. Leave time the night before to do these things. 


The entire week away cost about $1,200 including lodging, round trip fuel costs, meals out, and entertainment for the entire family. 
Conclusion: This vacation was wonderful and wonderfully affordable. We all came home refreshed, renewed and relaxed. Better yet, with careful planning, there was no spending "hangover" due to overspending. Happy Traveling!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Is My Favorite Time of Year

Autumn . It's absolutely my favorite time of year. Bright sunny days and cool nights. Leaves begin to change colors. Then of course there are the weekend activities like watching my kiddo playing soccer and fun community events that are traditions for us like making our own Apple Cider at the town's Cider Squeezes and finding the perfect gourds to decorate our front porch at a pumpkin patches. Last, but not the least of my reasons for loving the fall season is the fashion ! Having been raised in the rainy Pacific Northwest, about 65 percent of my closet is fall/winter type clothing. Autumn is MY season! I have coats and jackets, gloves and hats. Turtlenecks and boots and I can't wait to drag them out of my closet again. Ooh...just thinking about all my "new" clothing options makes me a happy girl! You know what this frugal mom doesn't like as much? The hit my budget can take due to the many events, activities, and holidays that take place during this

Perimenopause: An evolving playlist of micronutrients and self-care

This week's discovery on my wellness journey - the importance of being earnest . At least, being earnest about my health and changing body.  Earlier this year, I realized I was in perimenopause. What was my clue? You might think it was hot flashes. Nope! It was my hair, or lack thereof. Then eventually my nails, which had became so weak, they were always splitting. I couldn't keep them short enough to stop the splitting. As a result, a few months ago I began adding collagen to my daily diet, along with other micronutrients. Collagen starts declining in your 20s. By the time a woman reaches her 40s, its one of the reasons you start complaining about crows feet, laugh lines and other tell-tell signs of aging. I only recently figured this out. Hopefully I saved you a little time.  So, earlier this year I started researching natural ways to increase collagen in my daily diet. I figured I could help offset for what my body no longer produces. Here are my fave ways to get more collag
I Gotta Cut the Grocery Bill...Fast! I have a confession. One of my favorite TV program these days is a reality show about people who use coupons to cover the majority of their grocery costs. We're talking  70, 80, 90 - percent or more. It's amazing! Here's the thing I noticed though when I'm watching it. During most episodes, the people dedicate 20+ hours each week to prepping for their shopping trips. Oh, and then they are often buying enormous quantities of items that I believe are far beyond the needs of the typical family's "stockpile" (that's couponer lingo). For example, I recently saw an episode where the woman purchased 75 bottles of ca particular condiment and 200 packs of candy. It's honestly amazing to see the cost savings. I started dreaming about my own grocery bill savings, but I realized very quickly that I don't have the space for a stock pile of that magnitude and I'm not able to dedicate that much time to gro