Skip to main content

A Breadmaker is Born!



Success! They may not look like much, but they taste wonderful! I baked two loaves of honey whole wheat bread today. Took all day, but that was a combination of poor timing and just a really busy day. The recipe is actually really simple. From start to oven it;'s about 90 minutes.

I won't bother to share a recipe because there are so many available online. I just searched for something similar to the type I buy each week. I found several recipes and decided to try one that called for ingredients that I already had on hand. Well, except for yeast. I bought a three pack at Fred Meyer for $1.89. Everything else I already had in my pantry. So, I got two loaves of bread for $1.89. The house smells amazing! My official taste tester (e.g. my 6 yo) said it was delish straight out of the oven. We toasted up a slice this morning and it was equally good. This will definitely stay in the weekly routine.  

A bakery window in Paris, France


Definitely worth the time. As a bonus the house smells amazing!!! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perimenopause: An evolving playlist of micronutrients and self-care

This week's discovery on my wellness journey - the importance of being earnest . At least, being earnest about my health and changing body.  Earlier this year, I realized I was in perimenopause. What was my clue? You might think it was hot flashes. Nope! It was my hair, or lack thereof. Then eventually my nails, which had became so weak, they were always splitting. I couldn't keep them short enough to stop the splitting. As a result, a few months ago I began adding collagen to my daily diet, along with other micronutrients. Collagen starts declining in your 20s. By the time a woman reaches her 40s, its one of the reasons you start complaining about crows feet, laugh lines and other tell-tell signs of aging. I only recently figured this out. Hopefully I saved you a little time.  So, earlier this year I started researching natural ways to increase collagen in my daily diet. I figured I could help offset for what my body no longer produces. Here are my fave ways to get more colla...

This Week's Healthy Habits

A few weeks ago I confessed how lousy I was feeling physically. I also confessed that I intended to change my ways for the better. Well, I started to fall of the wagon last week. We hosted a cookout and the chips, the drinks, the hot dogs all called out to me. Then the next day, but who's counting, I was famished and bypassed the fresh veggies in favor of a bag of baked potato chips in the pantry. Forget they were baked, not fried. I probably ate 5 servings. Ugh! I'm the first person to admit that I'm not the most disciplined woman.I tend to tell myself, "oh well. you tried." and move one to the next thing. Then another month passes, my dresses feel a little snugger, and I begrudge myself for not sticking to my XYZ plan the last time. This time I'm trying something different. I went back to something a nutritionist had once told me. I used to be in incredible shape. I'm embarrassed to admit this was nearly a decade ago and pre-pregnancy. I weighed 75+...

Saving Money on Youth Sports and Activities

Any budget-conscious parent of a kid between the ages of 5 - 18, has more than likely balked at the high cost of their activities and interests at least once. As the parent of a grade-schooler, I've noticed the steady increase in number of activities our kid participates in year after year.  Of course, I could just not enroll him in these activities, but I don't think that is the best solution. Our kiddo is an only child. As such, I'm keenly aware of the importance friends play in his life. I feel strongly that the sooner I help him develop strong friendships and hobbies in our new community, the sooner he'll feel "at home." That is money well spent.  Grade School Boys Baseball Team Sitting Inside Dugout As my mother's daughter, I know both old school and new school ways to stretch a dollar. Once I became a stay-at-home-mommy, I became even more diligent about maintaining our household budget. Frankly, I del...