Skip to main content

I Gotta Cut the Grocery Bill...Fast!


I have a confession.

One of my favorite TV program these days is a reality show about people who use coupons to cover the majority of their grocery costs. We're talking  70, 80, 90 - percent or more. It's amazing!



Here's the thing I noticed though when I'm watching it. During most episodes, the people dedicate 20+ hours each week to prepping for their shopping trips. Oh, and then they are often buying enormous quantities of items that I believe are far beyond the needs of the typical family's "stockpile" (that's couponer lingo).

For example, I recently saw an episode where the woman purchased 75 bottles of ca particular condiment and 200 packs of candy. It's honestly amazing to see the cost savings. I started dreaming about my own grocery bill savings, but I realized very quickly that I don't have the space for a stock pile of that magnitude and I'm not able to dedicate that much time to grocery shopping. Here's a few tidbits I learned from the show that I can incorporate into my own life. First, watch the weekly circulars to see what's on sale. The goal is to shop sales - especially loss leaders. And to match a coupon to a sale for maximum savings. Seems easy enough. Now I just need to do it.

Granted that should help, but there has got to be more that I can do that will actually reduce our monthly grocery budget? Here's the first three things I've come up with:

  1. Plant a veggie garden ASAP- since I'm off to a late start, I'm using veggie starts to get things going quickly.
  2. Bake my own bread - we spend $5 for a loaf of organic bread each week. Enough said.
  3. Get my coupons organized.
As they say on TV, "To be continued..." Check back and I'll let you know how it's going.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perimenopause: An evolving playlist of micronutrients and self-care

This week's discovery on my wellness journey - the importance of being earnest . At least, being earnest about my health and changing body.  Earlier this year, I realized I was in perimenopause. What was my clue? You might think it was hot flashes. Nope! It was my hair, or lack thereof. Then eventually my nails, which had became so weak, they were always splitting. I couldn't keep them short enough to stop the splitting. As a result, a few months ago I began adding collagen to my daily diet, along with other micronutrients. Collagen starts declining in your 20s. By the time a woman reaches her 40s, its one of the reasons you start complaining about crows feet, laugh lines and other tell-tell signs of aging. I only recently figured this out. Hopefully I saved you a little time.  So, earlier this year I started researching natural ways to increase collagen in my daily diet. I figured I could help offset for what my body no longer produces. Here are my fave ways to get more colla...

This Week's Healthy Habits

A few weeks ago I confessed how lousy I was feeling physically. I also confessed that I intended to change my ways for the better. Well, I started to fall of the wagon last week. We hosted a cookout and the chips, the drinks, the hot dogs all called out to me. Then the next day, but who's counting, I was famished and bypassed the fresh veggies in favor of a bag of baked potato chips in the pantry. Forget they were baked, not fried. I probably ate 5 servings. Ugh! I'm the first person to admit that I'm not the most disciplined woman.I tend to tell myself, "oh well. you tried." and move one to the next thing. Then another month passes, my dresses feel a little snugger, and I begrudge myself for not sticking to my XYZ plan the last time. This time I'm trying something different. I went back to something a nutritionist had once told me. I used to be in incredible shape. I'm embarrassed to admit this was nearly a decade ago and pre-pregnancy. I weighed 75+...

Saving Money on Youth Sports and Activities

Any budget-conscious parent of a kid between the ages of 5 - 18, has more than likely balked at the high cost of their activities and interests at least once. As the parent of a grade-schooler, I've noticed the steady increase in number of activities our kid participates in year after year.  Of course, I could just not enroll him in these activities, but I don't think that is the best solution. Our kiddo is an only child. As such, I'm keenly aware of the importance friends play in his life. I feel strongly that the sooner I help him develop strong friendships and hobbies in our new community, the sooner he'll feel "at home." That is money well spent.  Grade School Boys Baseball Team Sitting Inside Dugout As my mother's daughter, I know both old school and new school ways to stretch a dollar. Once I became a stay-at-home-mommy, I became even more diligent about maintaining our household budget. Frankly, I del...